Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Perspective of Health in Different Cultures




When I was reading one of our readings by Nichter, the author gave some examples of perceptions of health in other cultures. The most interesting part of the reading that stood out to me was how some parts of Caribbean, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, and Latin America find having parasitic worms in their body to be normal, and how they thought worms were part of their bodily function. I found this to be interesting, but more absurd because I would be terrified of having any kind of parasitic worms in my body. This was definitely a cultural difference, if not a cultural shock to me. It’s not always easy to accept the way that other cultures view certain things, and this also applies to concept of health. Culture influences how a person might identify a disease, seek medical assistance, and find treatments.
            In one of our readings by Nichter, the author gives the definition of ethnography, and some examples of ethnophysiology in different cultures. According to Nichter, ethnography is basically is how a culture understands bodily processes and how these perceptions influence health, physical development, illness, medicines, and diet. In the writing the author also states “Perceptions of bodily process influence what physical symptoms are deemed normal and abnormal at particular times and which ones are deemed serious enough to warrant treatment beyond simple palliative care. Ethnography contributes to the meaning accorded to particular symptoms and plays an important role in determining thresholds of symptom tolerance.” As Nichter mentions by figuring out how people view and understand health we can determine how much a person can withstand the illness.
            I wanted to connect this to the article that I found by Uskul and Sherman. The article, “Culture and Health Psychology: Insights from Socio-Cultural Perspective”, it talks about how understanding cultural differences in perspective of health and illness is important to establishing our definition of health to help and prevent disease worldwide. This article relates to the reading because it’s talking about how influential the studies of ethnophysiology to approaches that aim to prevent illness and promote health. In this article it talks about how health is no longer just a definition about the physical state of well-being, but now according to WHO since 1948, health is defined in terms of “physical, mental, and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.  The studies of cultural differences create ways to improve health interventions, and give an insight to improve our understanding of health. As we study more about the cultural difference, the definition of health also broadens, which broadens our view of health. Furthermore, studying more about the differences, bridges the gap between two different cultures and promotes understanding health in different cultures without demeaning each other’s cultures without understanding. These ethnophysiological studies help to prevent and treat diseases among people.
The image that I found that I thought it linked to the reading and the article was this drawing below.  I actually saw this couple of years ago when I was web surfing. When I was thinking about cultural differences it reminded me this picture. Without explanation this picture might be hard to understand. It’s about the reactions of two different cultures to weather. The blue side of the picture shows the westerners or the European’s view of the sun and the rain, and the red side shows the easterners or Chinese’s view of the sun and the rain. The facial expressions of people on the blue side have smiling face for sunny weather, and sad face for rainy weather. However, the faces on the red side are both smiling for sunny and rainy weather. This image seems unrelated to the reading and the article, but I thought this picture represented how people in different culture perceive same objects differently than we do, and respond differently than we might. Although this image does not represent everyone in that particular culture, it shows how two very different cultures may differ depending on what environment they were raised in.
Culture is not the only factor that shapes an individual’s perception of health because there are other factors such as political, economic, social positions, personal experiences, information received, and many more. Understanding of one’s culture and how they view health will not make people in other cultures to abandon their perceptions and adopt our health perspective. It’s not easy to abandon what they have believed and experience through their life, and suddenly adopt a new system that seems like hoax. This goes same for us who are used to firmly believing our medical system is the best way to treat disease. Just like it would be hard for us to imagine having worms in our body as normal part of bodily function. Especially in the medical field it’s sometimes hard to determine how to treat a disease or epidemic. Even though we claim Western view of health is most effective system of treatment, there should be no room for over-estimation. Since I learn more about medical anthropology it seems there’s so much to discover and change in the medical field to bring better medical system. As Dr. Ceron mentioned in class, Westerners’ concept of health is also affected by their cultures. We all believe in something that we are used to and have experienced.
I found this very important aspect of medical anthropology because everyone experiences something different, but it’s hard for us to realize that we all perceive the world differently because of those differences in experiences.  Although we might not be able to perfectly understand every aspect of health perception of an individual, it may gives us some clues to predict what might happen. There’s always more to learn about different cultures and how to connect with them, and not through inserting our systems into them, and finding these differences can have a big affect on how people seek for treatment. We may live in a same world but we all see things differently.

Reading: Nichter, Mark (2008). Global health: why cultural perceptions, social representations, and bio politics matter. Tucson: University of Arizona Press. Pp. 23-132.

8 comments:

  1. Perspective of Health in Different Cultures
    Cultures, what is culture? Is it a physical thing we can touch or feel or is an invisible force that allows us to view, understand and interpret what and how we live our lives. Culture, as discussed in class, is dynamic and influence individual’s daily life. Culture adds color, different knowledge, values and identities to each and every individual. It is what shapes and forms who we are and what we chose to believe and accept. The wonderful, yet, ambivalent about culture is that it is a part of our every-day decision-making process and that includes health decision. Culture does influence how a person might chose to define what is an illness, disease, how diagnose, seek for medical care and treatment. Because there are so many different cultures in this world and many are gathered in the U.S., I think that it would be improve our health care very much if culture course like this course were to be added on as a requirement for professional health care career such as physicians, dentists, nursing, pharmacist, and etc. Just like how this article have mentioned that our cultures led to perceptions so it is very important that we understand the difference cultures, be able to accept it and promote different method of health care. The only way we can advance in health care and be able to provide health care to all is to be able to understand each individual or group, their ways of understanding and how they interpret information.
    I definitely agree with you that understand culture will allow us to improve health interventions and provide better health care. Your state, “The studies of cultural differences create ways to improve health interventions, and give an insight to improve our understanding of health. As we study more about the cultural difference, the definition of health also broadens, which broadens our view of health. Furthermore, studying more about the differences, bridges the gap between two different cultures and promotes understanding health in different cultures without demeaning each other’s cultures without understanding. These ethnophysiological studies help to prevent and treat diseases among people,” clearly underline how important culture is in our daily life, the impact and affect on our health. I do agree that understand cultures will be a great link to providing proper health care and truly bridges the gap between differences among individual. It’s hard to treat or diagnose any individual if we do not understand where and what they believe and the kind of culture they grew up with that links to their values and how it influence their decision. Culture influences people mentally and physically base on decisions. Culture is how people decide to live their life, chose the food they consume, wear the clothes that they do, work at the job they chose, be friends with certain individuals and etc. You are right, “we may life in the same world, but we all see things differently,” due to culture. So it is very important that we spend the time and effort to understand each other via our cultures. Again, it would promote and move health care if culture were courses taught in professional health care careers due to the large variety of cultures that the U.S. collectively gathered. It is hard to treat someone if you do not understand them just as it is hard to seek for someone’s help if you have a barrier between each other—and that is culture differences and understanding.

    -Section AH

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW I GOT CURED FROM  HPV WARTS Greetings to the general public, i want to tell about how i was cured of HPV disease by a Doctor called DR MOMOH i was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HPV and i saw comment of people talking about how DR MOMOH cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i having no hope of been cured of HPV so i decided to contact him with his email that was listed on the comment when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my HPV result came out negative. I pray for you God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great man. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any problem Email: dr.momoh9@gmail.com , or whatsApp him on this number +2347083724098 1. LOVE SPELL 2. ALS CURE 3. HEPATITIS B 4. HIV/AIDS CURE 5. HERPES CURE 6 SPIRITUAL HEALERS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. candidoza

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natural herbs have cured so many illness that drugs and injection cant
    cure. I've seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful
    work they have done in people's lives. i read people's testimonies online
    on how they were cured of herpes, HIV, diabetics etc by Dr. voodoo herbal
    medicine, so i decided to contact the doctor because i know nature has the
    power to heal anything. I was diagnosed with HIV for the past 7 years but
    Dr. voodoo cured me with his herbs and i referred my aunt and her husband
    to him immediately because they were both suffering from herpes but to God
    be the glory, they were cured too .I know is hard to believe but am a
    living testimony. There is no harm trying herbs. He is also a spell caster,
    he cast spell to restore broken marriages and he cast good luck spells to
    prosper and excel in life. Contact Dr voodoo on Whatsapp or call him
    +2348140120719 OR email him voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so Happy to write this article because I know it will help a lot of people who are suffering from Herpes. I am here to testify about the wonderful and most safe cure for herpes . I was positive to the deadly Virus called herpes and I lost hope completely because I was rejected even by my closest friends. I searched online to know and inquire about a cure for herpes and I saw testimony online on how Herbalist called Dr Osamu who cured so many people from Herpes virus and other similar diseases. I decided to contact the great herbalist because I know that nature has the power to heal everything. I contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural roots and herbs. After 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure is ready and he sent it to me via UPS and it got to me after 4 days. I used the medicine as he instructed (morning and evening ) and I got cured. it's really like a dream but I'm so happy that's the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more people can be saved just like me and if you need his help, contact him via Email: dr.osamuherbalremedy@gmail.com or WhatsApp:+2349012406016

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello everyone , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Abolo who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this dr Abolo email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address draboloherbalhome@gmail.com or text him on what's app, phone number +2347044725611 and he has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE.HEPATITS.E.T.C I BEG everyone to contact this powerful herbal list Dr Abolo and be free from suffering

    ReplyDelete
  7. Herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cured through drugs or injections by the American doctors but the best way to deal with Herpes is by taking natural herbs medicine for it, I have read about DR EDAGHONGHON the great herbalist doctor who cure me from herpes with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! After 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via UPS SPEED POST and it got to me after 3 days! I used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and I was cured! it's really like a dream but i am so happy! for the people suffering from the following diseases, Cancer, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, Arthritis, Hpv, Infections,Liver Disease,, Autoimmune Diseases, Parkinson's disease,,Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine because i am a living testimony and i was cured of herpes and his medicine is legit. I sent him what he requested and he sent me his medicine which I took for 3 good weeks and today am out here with a negative result. When I went for the test I was so happy after going through his medication. you can reach him through his email: dr.edaghonghonherbalhome@gmail.com or call whatsapp number:+2349056731866 he will help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can’t believe this. A great testimony that i must
    share to all patient of [herpes virus] in the world. i
    never believed that their could be any complete
    cure for herpes virus .Mrs JANE introduce me to Dr
    Aluda a herbal doctor who lives in Africa who
    brought him back to life again. so i had to try it
    too and you can,t believe that in just few weeks i
    started using the herbal medicine he sent to me i
    was perfectly ok and . Right now i can tell you
    that few months now i have not had any
    symptoms of virus and i have just went for
    text last week and the doctor confirmed that
    there is no trace of any herpes virus in my body
    system. Glory be to God for leading me to this
    genuine Dr Aluda I am so happy as i am
    sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who
    thinks that their is no cure for HERPES virus that is
    Not true ,just contact him and get cure from Dr
    Aluda via his Email Draludaharbalhome@gmail.com and you will be free and free
    forever, Try it and you will not regret it because
    it truly works. One thing i have come to realize
    is that you never know how true it is until you
    try...or you can whatsapp him +2349060893471,
    OR Email him via: Draludaharbalhome@gmail.com...
    THIS IS THE TYPE OF HERBAL MEDICATION HE
    HAVE
    1 Cancer
    2 Hiv
    3 Low sperm count
    4 Barrenness
    5 Hvp
    6 Herpes
    7 Genital Wart
    8 Rare disease
    9 Hepatitis
    10 Syphilis
    11 Diabetes
    God bless you sir for your good work that you
    done.....https://draludaharbalhome.wixsite.com/aludaherbalcenter

    ReplyDelete